Imagine a world where you don't need to help your skin prevent wrinkles or acne. Wouldn't it be great if your skin took care of itself? Well, unfortunately, that's not the case, and it's up to us to look after our skin by ensuring we take proper steps to improve skin health and address any skincare concerns head-on.
Skin is complex and its unique needs are complicated. Whatever results you aim to achieve, it's essential to first know the facts before implementing a proper skincare Regimen.
Although there have been great advancements in the skincare science world, there is no such thing as an instant fix.
Your skin needs time to reap the benefits from consistent use of your skincare Regimen. Most products don't tend to deliver visible results for at least four weeks. In many cases, you may need to wait eight weeks to see results.
Skin is your largest organ. Just like any other part of your body, it needs to be taken care of. Whether you seek a Regimen designed to target anti-aging, acne, or another skincare concern, skincare should be a vital component of your life. It might take some time to find the right Regimen that best suits your skincare needs and concerns, when you do, you must remember the critical importance of compliance.
Know What Your Unique Skin Concerns and Needs Are
You may have specific skin concerns like acne or discoloration. Or, you may be looking to take a preventative approach and more focused on maintaining healthy-looking skin. These concerns might differ from your friend who discovers a trending new product to use. You shouldn't always use products recommended by your friends, social media, a magazine, etc. because not all products work for every skincare concern.
Having a routine can provide benefits for not only your skin, but also for your mental health. Some people find that sticking to a skincare routine gives them a sense of control. Others like how it carves out a few minutes each morning and evening for some dedicated self-care.
Whether you are starting your skincare routine to address a skincare concern or to maintain your skin's health, it's important to implement a Regimen to follow consistently. Just like exercise, it's important to be consistent to see results.
2- Know Your Skin Type
Knowing your skin type is essential, as it will help you select your Regimen accordingly. If you don't know your skin type, don't worry. Here are some top tips on how to figure it out. One of the easiest ways to learn your skin type is to observe your skin after a few hours after taking a shower.
• Oily Skin: If you feel a little greasiness or shininess after a shower, you likely have oily skin.
• Dry Skin: If you experience flakiness or feel dry, you likely have dry skin.
• Combination Skin: If you have dry skin in some places and oily skin in others, like on the T-Zone, you likely have combination skin.
• Normal Skin: If you don't sway into any of these categories, don't worry. You likely fall under the "normal" skin category.
Knowing your skin type is important, as it helps you implement products that help keep dryness and oiliness under control, while still targeting any other skin concerns you may have.
3 - Stick to the Routine
No matter the reasons behind your skincare routine, compliance is the number one priority.
Make sure to be consistent with your Regimen, even if you are exhausted after a long day. This is the only way to achieve the best possible visible results on your skin.
4 - Address Your Main Skincare Concern
Like skin types, there are a variety of skin concerns that we experience. Here are some examples of common types:
- Appearance of Fine Lines and Wrinkles: We all age and with that, we start to see the visible signs of aging on the skin, like with fine lines and wrinkles, loss of firmness, and texture. If this is your main concern, look into implementing a Regimen that takes an anti-aging approach.
- Sensitive Skin: Have visible redness or dryness? You may have sensitive skin that requires a little extra TLC. Implement a routine that calms and nurtures to protect skin instantly and overtime.
- Acne: With triggers such as genetics, stress and hormones, acne is the most frequently diagnosed condition by dermatologists, affecting approximately 30-40% of adults. It's important to implement a consistent routine that takes a full-face approach to acne. This is vital in breaking the acne cycle to eliminate current acne and prevent future blemishes from forming
- Skin Discoloration: Spent too much time in the sun? Skin discoloration can appear, causing the surface to look dull and uneven. Use a Regimen that focuses on skin brightening to visibly reduce skin discoloration concerns for a more even-toned, radiant look.
Let's say you start to use a night cream that directs usage after facial cleansing and toning. It's important to follow those directions because before the product launched, it was meticulously tested and perfected to work in a specific way. The instructions exist to help you achieve the best visible results possible on your skin.
It is almost important to follow the directions on the best time of day to apply a specific product. For example, it is not recommended to use products with anti-aging ingredient, Retinol, for your morning routine, as it can make skin more sensitive to the sun. Instead, Retinol is more likely included in nighttime products.
When selecting a multi-step skincare system, the products have been clinically-tested to work in conjunction with one another. Specific ingredients and technologies that work cohesively are selected for the formulas, which are then layered in a specific order to help deliver the best visible results possible. Designed to target adult acne, Rodan + Fields UNBLEMISH Regimen uses this multi-step approach. In fact, each of the products has a number listed on the front to make it easy to follow.
Step-1: The process starts with clearing. Cleanser utilizes chemical exfoliation ingredient, Salicylic Acid, to refine skin to help prevent clogged pores, clear blemishes and nourish skin. Colloidal Sulfur works to balance the over-production of sebum that can congest pores and cause breakouts. Minerals nourish skin for a healthy-looking, more radiant complexion. (AM + PM)
Step-2: Next, it's time to clarify. Refreshing toner exfoliates away dead skin cells with mild Alpha-hydroxy Acids to help clear pores and brighten skin tone. Hyaluronic Acid helps visibly firm skin while Green Tea Extract, Witch Hazel and Aloe Vera help calm and soothe. (AM + PM)
Step-3: Next, it's time to keep everything under control. Unique dual-chamber system delivers acne-fighting 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide to help clear and prevent blemishes and calming skin-nourishing ingredients to moisturize and visibly plump skin. (AM + PM)
Step-4: In the morning, it's time for prevention. This mattifying, shine-free SPF helps reduce the appearance of shine and absorbs excess oil, so skin looks shine free, leaving a velvety smooth, dry touch, matte finish. Non-comedogenic, non-acnegenic formula feels weightless on skin and works to defend against UVA and UVB rays. (AM only)